Monday, November 12, 2007

23 Local newspapers...What could be worse?

This weekend was great. I went to a friend from church's birthday party and did a little bit of dancing; While I was watching my friends dance the night away, I realized that dancing wasn't really my thing. A lot of people dance to relax, others dance to express themselves. I don't dance. It's not that embarassed about the fact that i can't dance, or don't have rythym. I don't dance because I don't like to get sweaty and I don't get anything from it. I personally think its pointless. Is that so wrong? Am i an unadventurous person? Not in the least. I love adventures. Everytime I get on a bus to an unknown place, its an adventure. Every time I start walking without any idea where I'm going, I'm going on an adventure. Why does not liking to dance make me less of person?
Anyway, I don't know the answer to it; I don't know why people like to dance, it frustrates me, but I just don't. I would choose watching a movie at mine or anyone else's first. Anyway, Saturday was one of those adventurous days. In the early afternoon, I left the flat. I didn't know where I was going to go, or what I was going to do, but I just got on the bus, and I rode for a while to see a part of the city I hadn't seen yet. I had no clue there was an ASDA so close to my flat!!
The night was great, I went with my friend Jackie, from Canada, to a "bake and date" with some of the YSAs from around Scotland to Dundee. I bid on cakes and finally won one for £11. That means that I had to take the girl who baked the cake out for that much money. The date was ok, we walked around and talked, nothing too exciting, but she was sweet and cute, so I was content. We ended up at Pizza Hut (the only place that does free refills in all of Scotland!!) and i spent a whopping £15...£4 more than Ihad too! I'm such a big spender. Anyhow, after walking back to the chapel in the rain, we went to the beach (I was silently hoping that it would rain harder) to set off some fireworks; not that i have anything against fireworks, but lately, its gotten really cold, and the beach was cold, so I didn't want to be there. I would much rather have been anywhere warm...a pub...my bed...florida...ANYWHERE.
Now, I'm at work, another day, more money lost. I have agreed to help another MSP who doesn't have an intern, and they gave me a crap assignment. They asked me to go through the following Newspapers:

Bearsden & Milngavie Extra Kirkintilloch Herald Strathkelvin Advertiser
Milngavie & Bearsden Herald Lennox Herald Clyde Weekly News
Clydebank Post Dumbarton & Vale of Leven Reporter Greenock Telegraph
Inverclyde Extra Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette Paisley People
Barrhead News Paisley, Barrhead & Renfrewshire Extra Paisley Daily Express
Renfrewshire World South Glasgow & Eastwood Extra Helensburgh Advertiser
Ayrshire Extra Series Ayrshire World Series Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
Largs & Millport Weekly NewsThe Arran Banner

I'll save you the effort. There's 23 of them. Yes, 23. And he has the gall to say, whenever's convenient, in your spare time, if you would sort through them and find any references to said MSP. These are not only local papers, there's nothing of import in them. I'm sure the community cares that such and such place burned down, but for the purposes of my research, I don't. You might ask, can't you use the internet? Well, I tried that. But here's the problem: they don't all have website. Yes, some towns in Scotland are as po-dunk, or more, as most towns in Alabama. If Edinburgh and Glasgow are Montgomery and Birmingham, then Paisley and Ardrossan are Daphne and Enterprise. Needless to say, who cares what goes on in Enterprise Alabama?! I surely don't. This is the most tedious, uninteresting task to date, and I can't wait to be done with it!

No comments: